Looking for that perfect afterschool program for your child that is not only fun but provides valuable knowledge and development skills as well? Kung Fu can be an excellent choice as it provides a number of physical, mental, and social attributes that can benefit both children and parents alike.
The term Kung Fu refers to the martial arts of China. The Shaolin Temple, where monks practiced Kung Fu for health and self-defence during their quest for enlightenment is not a myth but it is true. Kung Fu is a rigorous and physical form of karate that involves more fluid movements, making it easier on joints than some of the other types of martial arts. It’s fast-paced, so kids get a great aerobic workout.
In this article we will cover some of the many benefits of kids Kung Fu.
5 Reasons Kids Should Learn Kung Fu
- Fitness – Fitness is a crucial element to all martial arts classes. Warm-ups with jumping jacks, pushups and stretches are common, and the movements of the martial art itself often challenge your muscles and cardiovascular system. It’s fast-paced, so kids get a great aerobic workout but also obtain increased flexibility. It is widely known that physically active children have fewer chronic health problems than kids who are not.
- Self-Discipline – Kung Fu helps instil mental focus in your child, giving the ability to concentrate on a task and see it through to the end. The discipline that is taught in the foundation of the class in regard to uniforms, customs and techniques transfer into other areas of life, including school and household chores. In addition, the discipline we call “self-discipline”, occurs when a student begins to take pride in their ability and form obtainable goals for their development. Learning this in Kung Fu at an early age can create a pattern for life of developing goals and striving to achieve them.
- Self Defence –Unfortunately, bullying is still common in today’s society. For children who are targeted by bullies, or live in rougher neighbourhoods where street violence is common, the ability to defend themselves gives them confidence and provides peace of mind. Many Kung Fu schools also teach street-smart techniques to kids to help avoid problems altogether.
- Respect -Martial arts are all about respect. In Kung Fu students show respect to each other, their instructor, and even to their school upon. This teaches them valuable lessons such as gratitude, for the learning the student receives, and acknowledgement of the other person’s abilities. All Martial Arts teaches students to value age, rank, skill, and experience. In Kung Fu, a good teacher will stress the value of respect and instruct students to regularly practice respect for self, parents, teachers and peers.
- Improve Social Skills & Confidence –As Kung Fu promotes cooperation, support and respect, this can help kids feel more secure about joining a game or starting a conversation which is great for shy children. This boosts their self-confidence along with their improved physical ability and strength. This stronger self-confidence will enable them to make proper choices in their young lives.
Kung Fu is an excellent martial art hobby for children and the perfect way to assure parents who are worried about their child’s safety. Martial arts is known to improve both mental and physical well-being, and for children and there’s no more exciting way to get this type of exercise than learning Kung Fu.