What is cosmetics?
The term cosmetics refers to a type of product that is applied to the body, especially the face, in order to improve the aesthetic appearance. For example, many women chose to wear cosmetics in order to boost their confidence and create their own unique style (i.e., styled eyeliner, shiny lip-gloss, or coloured foundation).
So, what are cosmetics? Cosmetics are typically mixtures of chemical compounds that can be derived from both natural sources (sold as organic cosmetics), or synthetically created ones. These can have multiple purposes. For example, cosmetics that are created and designed for personal skincare can be used to cleanse and protect the body or skin (e.g., face-creams and other skincare products).
Where are cosmetics made?
Cosmetics are manufactured all over the world. However, one of the most popular cosmetic hubs is California in the United States. This is because there are high concentrations of beauty brands on the West Coast, making it the principal hub in the West for the beauty industry.
That said, you will find a number of quality cosmetic manufacturers all over the world. Some are originally manufactured in places like Thailand and then shipped to the west for wholesale and consumption. It all depends on the type of cosmetic you are after, and indeed, your favourite brands.
OEM in cosmetics
OEM stands for “Original Equipment Manufacturer”. In cosmetics, this refers to the company that not only owns the creation method and formulation of a particular cosmetic product but manufacturing as well. There are also terms like ‘private label’ that refer to the OEM cosmetic company being the original manufacturer of a certain type of cosmetic product.
In cosmetics, finding an OEM is quite rare, as most typically, brands will have other businesses manufacture their cosmetics, and they will rebrand and sell them as a third-party, whilst white-labelling the cosmetics as their own.
If you want to buy cosmetics directly from the source, however, we recommend checking out reputable suppliers and manufacturers like IU-Cosmed, and other related OEM cosmetic companies.
What makeup products do I need?
Now that we have a clearer understanding of what cosmetics are, where they are made, and the OEM meaning in relation to cosmetics, let’s take a look at the different types of cosmetic products.
What makeup products do I need? Let’s take a look at some of the essential cosmetic products that every makeup lover should have in their makeup bag!
The essential makeup products for the face:
- Face primer: Face primer is optional to some, though many believe it to be essential. Face primer can prepare the skin before you apply makeup, keeping your skin looking smooth and your makeup looking fresh, all day long.
- Foundation: Foundation can be difficult to get right. However, once you find the right shade and coverage for your skin type and tone, a quality foundation can make your complexion shine!
- CC cream: CC cream has some great skincare benefits such as priming and moisturizing. The trouble with most CC creams, however, is that they tend not to cater well for darker skin tones.
- Concealer: Concealer is a must-have for those who are suffering from acne, or have dark circles around their eyes. Concealer can fill you with confidence when applying for that job interview, or going on a first date. Keep those blemishes under lock and key with some fine concealer cosmetics.
- Blush: No makeup routine is complete without a little blush. Whereas foundation on its own can leave your complexion looking a little flat, some blush can add a little colour to your cheeks, giving you a healthier look.
- Highlighter: Highlighter is the perfect cosmetic for highlighting your favourite features and adding more depth to your makeup routine. You can even use a highlighter as a form of eyeshadow for when you want to mix things up a bit.
- Bronzer: Bronzer is not for everyone. However, if you like having a tanned complexion and feel the most confident when your skin has a healthier glow, then adding bronzer to your makeup routine is a definite must!
- Setting spray/powder: Setting spray or powder is a great cosmetic for finishing your makeup routine with a certain style, for example; a matte or radiant finish. It is also helpful for allowing your makeup to last longer.
What makeup do you need for the eyes? Let’s take a look at the essential makeup products for the eyes:
- Eye primer: Eye primer is an essentiality for preventing your eye makeup from running or fading.
- Eyeshadow: Eyeshadow is great for adding depth and mystery to your makeup routine. In fact, eyeshadow is arguably one of the most aesthetically beautiful makeups.
- Mascara: Mascara has a certain way of bringing a makeup routine together with great depth and beauty.
- Eyeliner: There are countless ways of applying eyeliner, allowing the user to find and create their own unique styles, highlighting their beautiful eyes.
- Eyebrow products: Eyebrow products can be used to thicken your eyebrows or alter the shape, making you feel more confident.
And what makeup do you need for the lips? Let’s take a look at the essential makeup products for the lips:
- Lip gloss: Lip gloss is perfect for giving your lips a beautiful shine, whilst keeping them well-moisturized.
Lipstick: Lipstick comes in all manner of shades with various finishes as well. Perfect for drawing attention to your lips and highlighting your favourite features.