Most people aren’t fully aware of how much it costs to fit out an average office. This is important to know when you are planning an expansion, or you are thinking of establishing a new business. What you want to be able to do is to build a suitable office with everything you need from the get go, rather than opting for the cheapest possible fit out, only to have to add more later down the line. If you get it right from the get go, you’ll be much better off for it.
In this article, we will talk you through the various factors that affect the overall cost of an office fit out, and how much it costs per square meter on average.
The figures in this article are not entirely accurate, given how many factors there are to consider. This should however give you a rough ball-park idea as to how much it is going to set you back.
Office Fit Out Cost Per M2
A typical office fit out cost per m2 is going to be around $500 and $2000 + GST. This will vary depending on the size, scale, and facilities that you would like included with your office fit out.
Here are some of the things that will influence the cost per M2 with your office fit out:
- How big is the office space available to you?
- What are the original finishes like? Is there much structural work to be done?
- How many people do you need to accommodate?
- What scale of electrics do you need?
- Do you want standard or opulent furnishings? (e.g., ergonomic furniture)
- How quickly do you need the project turned around?
- What type of paint finish would you like?
- Do you want carpet, laminate, or stone flooring?
And many, many more! You see, when it comes to an office fit out, there really are no limits in terms of how lavish you want to go. Just take your time when planning this phase and ensure that you are getting everything that you need, and most of what you want (providing it is within your budget).
An interior office fitouts company can assist you with this planning phase if you feel overwhelmed. In fact, they can likely make a number of handy suggestions to you that you might not have already thought of. Take full advantage of the professionals and their expertise.
Average Office Fit Out Costs
Average fit out costs for an office are relatively low, if you aren’t looking for anything too lavish. For example, an open plan styled office fit out is suitable for those who may be on a very tight budget.
Open plan furnishings using budget or refurbished workstations, dividers made from screens, low-rise cupboard and cabinets, a quite area, fire services, painting, air-conditioning. All of the essentials. These are true working environments, absent a reception area. So, if you want an office space that is dedicated purely to your employees, rather than accommodating clients, then this is the move for you.
- An open plan working environment
- Budget workstations
- Some huddles or booths
- Quick installation
- Flexible office space
- High capacity
- Natural lighting
- Great costs benefits
All of this should cost you somewhere between $350 and $550 + GST per M2.
Typical Office Fit Out Costs
A typical office fit out costs a little bit more as you may have some dedicated offices inside the space as well. This will be average office fit out costs, including a little extra. For example, most people who have a little bit more a budget, might want to go open plan for the workspace, but have dedicated office space for client meetings, etc. This would typically be using modular workstations and systems, partitions and desks, a nice flow, and perhaps a small reception area as well.
- An open plan working environment
- A few small offices throughout
- Workstations and partitions
- Modular furniture
- Small meeting room for staff or clients
- A budget reception area (desk or counter)
These average fit out costs are going to come in a little higher, as mentioned above, at $550 and $750 + GST per M2.
Higher-end office fit out costs
For mid-range and high-end office fit outs, you’re going to be spending a fair bit more. However, the scale and quality of the work will be reflected in that price.
Let’s say that you have all of the above, including some handy extras:
- A nicer reception waiting area
- A number of various sized offices
- A kitchen and break area
- Laminate office furniture
- A boardroom kitted with decent AV capabilities
- Lavish glass and plaster wall partitions
- A staff changing room and shower
This is still mid-range, though with some high-end benefits. This should cost you somewhere in the region of $810 and $1,110 + GST per M2.
If you have your heart set on the more lavish office fit out, then here’s what you might expect to find in addition to everything mentioned so far:
- A larger and more prestigious waiting area
- A beautiful bespoke reception counter
- Lounge seating
- Customised lighting and ceilings
- High-end meeting rooms with quality AV
- Carpet or stone flooring throughout
- Large offices
- A kitchen with fancy benchtops
- Multiple break areas
- High-quality furnishing and finishes throughout
- Everything branded
With this more high-end approach, you can expect to pay more per M2, at around $2,240 and $2,440 + GST.
Again, these figures are averages and not to be taken as gospel. If you are still undecided, we would advise reaching out to some local talent, such as Alpha Ceilings and Partitions to do a little fact finding. Gather some quotes and compare them with the companies that gave you the best impression. That should help narrow down the search significantly. In any case, we wish you the very best of luck!